Monday, January 7, 2013

Happy New Year

Happy New Year.  I hope everyone had a happy and healthy winter break.  I know that I enjoyed the little bit of snow we had.  It was fun to take my 3 year old sledding and enjoy that experience with him.

We've finished up our bear and holiday themes and are currently learning all about snow, winter and reading stories from one of my all time favorite children's authors, Jan Brett.  We have begun to read The Mitten by Jan Brett last week.  I'm fortunate enough to have collected enough copies of the book throughout my years teaching that at group time each child has the opportunity to hold, turn pages and read along with their own copy.  This way of reading a book helps children follow directions and understand that print has meaning.  As I read aloud I point to the words as a I read and often the children do the same.  We are also able to pay more attention to the very detailed illustrations.  We will also act out the story using animal props and then eventually pretend to be the animals ourselves. 

Conferences are coming up on January 31st and February 6th.  Conferences are not mandatory but if you are interested keep a look out in your child's communication folder for a sign up.  Peggy Fangman our speech pathologist will be here on February 6th so if your child receives speech therapy please consider requesting February 6th. 

Scholastic flyers went home last week.  It's a great way to purchase books for your child at a reasonable cost and also help our class earn points to buy more books.

Remember never hesitate to call, email or write with any questions or concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment